Since the spring of 2011 the Band of Rebels have been meeting and raising our voices in protest in front of bank branches and other corporate or government sites in Rochester, NY for many Mondays at noon. We no longer go out but we support many actions in Rochester.
Subscribe to this blog by RSS feed or email notification (look in the navigation panel to the left).
Jim Schmidt: Inspiring Rebel
Who are we?
The Band of Rebels emerged during the summer of 2011 from the concerns of some Rochester-area grandparents who worried that their children’s and grandchildren’s futures are threatened by corporate greed and economic inequality. We raise our voices and take to the streets to draw attention to the injustices that are contributing to the widening gap between the rich and the poor, and that are eroding our neighborhoods, our cities, our nation, and our environment.
What does the Band of Rebels do?
The Band of Rebels holds an action every Monday at noon in front of one of the city’s major banks and provides information to Rochester residents to move their money to a local credit union. The Band of Rebels also participates in solidarity actions with other groups, including Occupy Rochester, Take Back the Land, and local unions.
What does the Band of Rebels Stand for?
- A fair and just tax system.
- Creating jobs with union-scale wages, the right to collective bargaining, and health care and pensions.
- A national single-payer healthcare system.
- A law or amendment to the Constitution ending corporate personhood.
- Strengthening Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
- Federal financing for all public schools (not property-tax financing).
- Forgiving education debt to allow young people to begin their careers free of debt.
- Cutting the defense budget and funding domestic priorities.
- Rebuilding US infrastructure with green technologies; pass and enforce strong measures to protect the environment.
- Mandate public financing of all elections and return democracy to the people.
For more information or to join the Band of Rebels, contact us by email.
All original work on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.