Here are our main points from the petition.
We are opposed because this deal would:
- Permit foreign corporations to sue the U.S. government in private tribunals and order unlimited sums of taxpayer funds to be handed over to these corporations (Investor-State Dispute Settlement or ISDS agreements).
- Make it easier for corporations to ship jobs to other countries and cause pay cuts for 90% of American workers.
- Raise medicine prices and give expanded powers to Big Pharma corporations.
- Flood the U.S. with unsafe imported food.
- Undermine environmental climate policies.
- Threaten national sovereignty by making it possible to overturn national, state and local regulations.
- Ban “Buy American” provisions that help grow jobs here.
Here are some source from which to construct our presentation stories and flyer text.
Robert Reich Why the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement is a Pending Disaster
MONDAY, JANUARY 5, 2015 (text)
Six things to know about the TPP from Public Citizen Eyes on Trade
Tricks of the Trade Deal: Six Big Problems with the Trans-Pacific Partnership By Joseph Stiglitz, Roosevelt Institute