The purpose of this letter is to encourage all to help Gas Free Seneca fight the gas storage and transportation facility from being developed in our back yard, two miles north of Watkins Glen along Seneca Lake.
Here are several suggestions:
- Make emergency calls to Governor Cuomo to reject the gas facility on Seneca Lake near Watkins Glen. Tell him that the facility threatens the Finger Lakes economy, tourism, way of life, the drinking water for 100,000 people, and must be stopped: 866-739-8818
- Sign the petition: http://gasfreeseneca.com/?page_id=682
- Sign the pledge: http://www.shaleshockmedia.org/pledge-to-protect-seneca-lake/
- Donate whatever you can to help defray Gas Free Seneca’s legal expenses: http://gasfreeseneca.com/?page_id=40 or http://www.gofundme.com/GasFreeSeneca
- Attend Gas Free Seneca’s Fundraiser, Thursday, 10/9, 5:30-9PM, Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards’ Oasis, 5712 Route 414, Hector, NY 14841: https://www.facebook.com/events/903977429673324/ If you’re interested in carpooling let me know
Here’s some background:
In Rochester’s back yard lies the eleven Finger Lakes recognized worldwide as premier tourist destinations and great agricultural and wine growing environments. Seneca Lake is the 2nd deepest lake in the state and provides an ideal microclimate for grape growing.
Just 2 miles north of Watkins Glen along Seneca Lake are depleted salt caverns owned by Crestwood Energy and Arlington Storage Co. They plan to convert them into the major LPG and natural gas (i.e.: propane, butane and methane) storage and transportation hub for the northeastern U. S. In fact, this week the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approved expansion of the caverns for this purpose: http://www.r-cause.net/uploads/8/0/2/5/8025484/ferc_expansion_approval_9-30-14.pdf
But tourism and agriculture do not mix with this type of heavy industrial activity. To learn more please read the Finger Lakes Times article by Joseph Campbell, co-founder of Gas Free Seneca: http://www.fltimes.com/opinion/article_44601bf4-469c-11e4-8102-5bd812fceb83.html
Here’s another article further detailing concerns about the proposed facility: http://www.legislativegazette.com/Articles-Top-Stories-c-2014-09-29-89353.113122-Finger-Lakes-residents-ask-US-senators-to-intervene-in-ongoing-propane-storage-fight.html
Thank you for your concern and generosity,
Anna and Nedra
Anna Sears and Nedra Harvey, co-founders
R-CAUSE (Rochesterians Concerned About Unsafe Shale-gas Extraction)